I've been using the word 'casting' a lot lately. I find that when I use a word over and over in a short period of time, there's a reason behind it.
Unfortunately the reason escapes me here.
But since I'm at it, here's the context in which I've used it lately ...
- The guy who plays 'Mayhem' in the Allstate commercials. That guy IS mayhem!
- A new business pitch team I was recently on. Everyone played a role.
- The group of parents who were on hand to answer questions about a school we toured for our son. Diverse enough, but familiar.
- The pilot on my flight from Philadelphia to Chicago. I'd hate to meet this guy in a dark alley.
- The greeter at the Chicago Adler Planetarium. A scientist in the making, dressed in a weird jumpsuit no less!
As I look at those examples I suppose I'm struck by the loss of innocence. I've realized so many things and people I encounter every day are staged. Not to say it's always a bad thing ... I want the Planetarium woman to be nerdy; and my pilot to look tough. It makes me feel better, as irrational as it may be.
Maybe the reason, after all, is that I'm getting old. And with age comes a degree of skepticism. Or wisdom. Or both.